Article 000: Embers and the Digital — Welcome to My Digital Memoranda
Blog Name
Digital Memoranda · Masahide / 電子手控え · 雅英
Memoranda: a record of things worth keeping close — notes made not for the world, but for oneself.
"When a system turns to look back at its own passage, that act of reflection yields a flavour found nowhere else."
By "a system turning to look back," I mean any living process — human or otherwise — that pauses to examine its own unfolding. The particular quality that emerges from that examination is what I call its flavour.
Contents
- About This Blog
- Why I Write
- Languages
1. About This Blog
Welcome to my digital memoranda.
Within the quiet rhythms of daily life, I have made a practice of noting down the things I want to carry with me — observations and small discoveries I would rather not let time dissolve. Each entry is made deliberately, with some care, in the way one might press a leaf between the pages of a book not because it is rare, but because it was there, and it was beautiful, and the moment deserved to be held.
At present, my writing gathers around the world of food and its attendant rituals: cooking, the vessels we eat from, the slow pleasures of working with one's hands.
In time, I hope to write about other things as well:
- What gymnastics has been quietly teaching me about yoga
- The education I am receiving from learning to sharpen a blade
- The small competencies and understandings I have arrived at, one by one, and would like to remember
2. Why I Write
I walked to primary school. I cycled to middle school.
These are simple facts, and for most of my childhood they required no commentary — they were simply how things were. The distance was covered by my own body, at my own pace, and the road between home and school was something I knew in the way you know a thing when your feet have crossed it many times in all weathers.
Then, as I entered working life, I began to take trains and buses, to sit in cars. The transition happened gradually, as such transitions do, and I absorbed it as nothing more than the natural order of things. Of course you travel differently as an adult. Of course you cover ground more efficiently. I had no reason to question any of it.
What I did not notice, until much later, was how much I had put down by the side of the road.
Convenience has a cost that doesn't appear on any invoice. You gain speed and lose texture. You stop noticing the precise quality of the light on a particular corner at a particular time of year, because you are no longer walking past it. The accumulated knowledge of moving through a place — slowly, bodily, exposed to the weather — turns out to be knowledge of a kind that cannot be retrieved by any other means. I simply hadn't recognised it as knowledge until I no longer had it.
This blog is my attempt to go back and look.
Not with nostalgia — or not only with that. I am less interested in mourning what I left behind than in understanding what it actually was. To name a thing plainly, in unadorned language, is sometimes the only honest way to see it.
I also hope, in writing this, that something I set down here might land near something you already carry. That a memory I describe might stir one of your own. That the particular quality of a moment I have tried to record might rhyme, somehow, with a moment in your life that you had perhaps half-forgotten.
And there is something else I want to share — something harder to put into words, but closer to what all of this is, finally, about. It is the image of a family gathered around embers. Not a roaring fire, nothing dramatic: embers, the patient afterglow of wood that has burned down to its quietest, most enduring state. A table where laughter comes without effort. An hour in which the heart settles. That is the quality of life I am trying to approach, and to share, in whatever imperfect way I can.
I should say, honestly, that since I began writing I have been surprised — genuinely moved — by how much language is capable of holding. A well-made sentence can carry more than I had previously thought possible. At the same time, I am daily reminded of how shallow my own command of words remains, how much further there is to go. I am under no illusion that these pieces are finished things. They are practice, made in public, with all the incompleteness that implies.
I only ask that you watch this particular process with some generosity of spirit. The learning is part of it. The not-yet-knowing is part of it too.
3. Languages
This blog is published in multiple languages. If you would like to read in another language, the links below will take you there.
Platforms - Blogger
Platforms - note
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- English
- Français (French)
- 繁體中文 (Traditional Chinese)
- Österreichisches Deutsch (Austrian German)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- 한국어 (Korean)
Update history
- Updated: 8 January 2026; 6 June 2026 (added additional languages).
- First published: 8 September 2025.
