Article 003: Tofu Hamburger Steak and the Oribe Square Plate—Flavors by Feel
Article Summary
A morning that stretches. A table set with tofu hamburger steak.
The first bite: nothing added. Each ingredient speaks—tofu, meat, herbs—on its own terms.
Condiments wait. They pull too hard, claim too much. First, taste what's there.
Then: soy sauce, wasabi, sauce. The flavor shifts, opens, changes.
My wife says, "I go by feel, so I can't make it the same twice." That answer makes the next meal something to anticipate.
The Oribe square plate: lift it with both hands and notice—weight settles evenly, surface slightly rough, fits the palms.
Using tea ceremony ware in daily life. That ease.
Category
Cooking
- I write scenes from Japanese food culture as I've lived them.
Read this as you might sit near embers—quietly, with warmth nearby.
1. Tofu Hamburger Steak
Today unrolled slowly from morning.
Coffee scent lingered longer than usual—or I noticed it more.
Flipping through a magazine I'd started days ago, I stopped at a passage about hamburger steak, the kind children ask for again.
Reading on, I wanted it. The want surfaced clear and sudden.
I asked my wife. She added it to that evening's menu.
This time: tofu and chicken, combined.
I prefer jidori—local free-range chicken—for the tighter grain of the meat. But the refrigerator held none. I let it go. Next time.
I love hamburger steak, but the first bite goes in plain.
Chew slowly. Taste the meat. Taste the tofu. Taste the vegetables, the spice—each one separately, one after another.
The condiments we keep at home assert themselves too strongly, I find.
Add them from the start and they take over—pull you into their world. That bothers me.
After that first plain bite, I move on: soy sauce, mustard, wasabi, sauce, ketchup. I enjoy how the flavor bends and opens with each one.
Soy sauce varies by region. I change which one I use depending on the season.
2. Lighter Tofu Hamburger Steak
This tofu hamburger steak: the ratio of meat to tofu shifted, making it lighter.
When it's lighter, wasabi sauce helps. With that, I can keep eating rice.
I didn't tire of the flavor or the balance, so I asked my wife to make it again next time.
Her reply: "I go by feel, so I can't make it the same twice."
That response made my anticipation for the next meal expand further.
I'll write about the round Nabeshima plate in a future article.
3. The Square Plate (Yohōzara)
The vessel holding the tofu hamburger steak is an Oribe square plate.
When tofu hamburger steak sits on this square plate, the colors of the hamburger and the plate draw me—I want to eat it quickly.
Where I Bought It
Hagi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture
Size
About 18 centimeters across, but dense. It feels packed with weight.
When you lift it with both hands, you feel the center of gravity settle evenly.
How It Feels in the Hands
The circle was cut into four sides—cleanly, without hesitation—but the corners have been finished carefully.
Also, perhaps from the glaze, there's a fine roughness. It fits the palms with a pleasant feel.
When I Use It
I use it in various ways, depending on mood.
The ceramic artist who made this vessel said: "I make my pieces as tea ceremony ware, but please don't put them away. Use them freely in your everyday life and enjoy them."
Ease of Washing
It has weight. When soap touches it, it becomes slippery.
When I rinse it, I hold it with both hands.
4. Summary for This Time
-
「ひとしずく へりをあるいて さじかげん」
-
[hitoshizuku héri wo aruité saji kaguen]
-
Hie, Tôt, Si, Doux, Coup, Air, Lit, Eau, Art, Luit, Thé, Ça, Gîte, Qu'a, Gain.
-
Le sourire du fond... un peu de ciel, au bout des doigts.
Related Links
References
For references, please use the link below.
References consulted for this article: 料 01, 料 02, 器 01, 器 02, 工 01, 暦 01
Audio Data (Sound): 2025_003_ja01
Audio Data (Reading): 2025_003_ja02 (In Progress)
Microsoft Clipchamp: Brigitte, VOICEVOX: 四国めたん
End of Article
- I hope to bring small discoveries and a sense of familiarity to your table.

