Article 008: From Red to White—Memory Ripening Full
Article Summary
In autumn, as we discover white among scarlet spider lilies, we visit Mamihara shopping street.
We buy yōkan, pass through Takachiho, and head to Miyazaki.
In summer's memory, we carefully harvest lychees hanging heavy in the greenhouse.
More than the pleasure of eating, our hearts leap at the moment of giving to someone.
When we arrange large lychees on a white Karatsu-yaki plate, childhood's intensity fades—now we simply keep quiet time with time itself.
Sweetness might be the hours we share with others.
Categories
Cooking, Autumn, Summer
- I write scenes from daily life as I've touched Japanese food culture.
I hope you'll read this with the ease of gathering around glowing embers.
1. Shopping at Mamihara Shopping Street
Scarlet spider lilies (higanbana) reach their final viewing days.
Rice harvest begins in earnest now, though some fields are already done.
For reasons I can't name, white draws me more than brilliant red.
Until I saw white ones up close, I'd assumed spider lilies could only be red.
Perhaps that's why—when white appears in a field of red, I feel something settle.
In elementary school days, I chased insects, hung from bars, competed in long jump with friends.
Homework forgotten, I always walked home watching the sunset.
Looking back, I spent so much time on games with no grace at all.
Now, when rice farmers finish their harvest safely and mornings and evenings turn slightly cool, we always visit Mamihara shopping street after shrine visits.
At this shopping street, we never forget to buy "yōkan" and "sakura croquettes."
Especially the yōkan (sweet bean jelly)—we finish it slowly, across several sittings.
After shopping, we stop by Takachiho town.
Then we drive along Miyazaki Prefecture's coastline, feeling the faintly warm sea breeze.
2. Miyazaki-Grown Lychees
Miyazaki Prefecture is famous for "mangoes," but lychees remain little known.
Fresh lychees offer a size frozen ones can't match, and a sweetness edged with slight tartness.
Inside the greenhouse, heat pressed down considerably.
Yet this very heat let me feel how vigorously the lychees had grown.
And I found real pleasure in the work—spotting lychees grown to ping-pong ball size, harvesting them with care.
Of course there's joy in eating them, but what makes me happiest is the moment I give harvested lychees to someone I know.
When I brought them as Miyazaki souvenirs to acquaintances, everyone showed surprise at seeing such size for the first time.
This farm's lychee-picking experience started with simple reception.
As years passed, facilities improved, and it seems to have become a place more people cherish.
Lychee picking garden: Miki Farm Co., Ltd., Koyu District, Miyazaki Prefecture
For details, please see the official website.
Link: https://miki-farm.co.jp/
3. About the Vessel
The medium plate holding large lychees is Karatsu-yaki (traditional pottery from Saga Prefecture).
I'm drawn to the slightly clouded white base and the nandina (heavenly bamboo) pattern.
The branch lines show delicate precision yet carry momentum—I never tire of looking.
When you soak it in water before use, the nandina pattern rises vivid.
On this plate I serve salads, soba and tofu, sōmen, udon.
Sometimes I arrange small portions of pickles together for the table.
Purchase Location
Pottery—Karatsu-yaki—Karatsu City, Saga Prefecture
About Size
Approximately 23 centimeters in diameter.
Feel in Hand
This plate looks light but carries solid weight.
Balance when holding is very good, yet I always use both hands.
4. Summary for This Time
-
「たわわなり しろきときそい あまさかな」
-
[Tawawa nari, shiroki toki soi, amasa kana]
-
Tas, Voies, Voies, Na, Rit, Si, L'eau, Qui, Taux, Qui, Soie, Amas, Ça, Qu'a, Na.
-
Un sillage de douceur. La mémoire respire. Le chemin le plus doux est celui de la porte.
Related Links
-
Miki Farm Co., Ltd.
Link: https://miki-farm.co.jp/
-
Read this article in other languages:
References
For references, please use the link below.
References used this time: 器 01, 器 02
Audio data (sound): 2025_008_ja01
Audio data (reading): 2025_008_ja02 (in progress)
Microsoft Clipchamp: Brigitte, VOICEVOX: 四国めたん
Article End
- I hope to bring small discoveries and nostalgia to your table.






