Article 015: The Old Farmhouse

Article Summary

Visiting a farmhouse that has endured since the Azuchi-Momoyama period, learning ancestral wisdom through implements: the irori hearth, the fire-shelf, the brazier, the sitting bench.

A singular sensation called "the taste of iron," designs embedded with preparation against fire, lessons learned from experiencing a house fire.

Through ongoing dialogue with objects, quietly chronicling memories of a life lived alongside flame.

Category

Handcrafts


  • I document here one scene from my encounters within Japan's dwelling culture.
    I hope you might read this with the calm feeling of gathering around glowing embers.

1. Implements of the Old Farmhouse

Our cherry tree's leaves are growing with startling speed.

Though I feel the loneliness of scattered blossoms, now the tree becomes a grateful presence, creating shade.

To the mountain cherry I say: "Please persevere again this year against the caterpillar invasion, and may your branches not break in strong winds."

My work has finally settled, and I've gained enough margin to travel.

With consecutive holidays available, I took a two-night, three-day journey to visit an old farmhouse that had been occupying my thoughts.

  • Irori (hearth): The central equipment for heating and cooking where family gathers (photo left)

  • Amadana (fire-shelf): A shelf installed above the hearth for fire prevention and drying (photo left, upper section)

  • Hibachi (brazier): A beautiful craft object used as portable heating (photo upper right)

  • Sitting bench: Simple, practical furniture used in the earthen floor area (photo lower right)


Interior of old farmhouse with irori hearth and traditional implements arranged: irori (hearth), amadana (fire-shelf), hibachi (brazier), sitting bench


2. The Old Farmhouse

This farmhouse is a precious structure inherited from the Azuchi-Momoyama period (late 16th century).

The well-maintained, impressive house was cherished by many as "Dining Place Minou Saryo," but closed in April 2025.

The building's administrator is Beniotome Sake Brewery Co., Ltd.
For details, please visit the official website.

Link: https://beniotome.co.jp/

【Notice】
※The state of the house introduced here was photographed in 2000.

With 25 years having passed, current business conditions and store information differ greatly from that time.

If you are considering a visit, please verify the latest information in advance.


3. The Taste of Iron

In my memory, for some reason "old things" and "iron" bind together strongly.

It begins from touching rusted and abandoned hammers, saws, chisels, and blades in childhood, removing their rust.

And I loved the appearance when polishing removed the rust and restored the original brilliance.

What I sensed then was that even rust has old and new scents.

With such inclinations, when visiting old buildings I find myself unconsciously searching for iron products.

Someday, given the chance, I want to write about "the taste of iron from the Kamakura period, the Muromachi period, and the Edo period."

The taste of iron refers to the distinctive sensation felt when holding in hand iron that has changed as eras pass.

Expressing the taste of iron in words is difficult, but I believe anyone can sense this difference by actually holding it in hand.

For example, it's a perception like somehow understanding the difference between the smoothness of silken tofu and the firmness of cotton tofu through touch.


4. Irori (Hearth) · Amadana (Fire-shelf)

Buildings that escaped demolition speak to us of various ancestral wisdoms.

Actually, the more I researched those times, the more I came to know that our ancestors struggled with how to associate with "flame."


Irori (hearth), Amadana (fire-shelf)

For example, fish shapes are often seen in jizaikagi (pot hooks).

This was thought of as "fish are creatures that can control fire's vigor."

Wishes to prevent fire have been embedded since ancient times, it is said.

By chance, when staring intently at a fish's face, I sometimes encountered a pot hook that seemed to speak: "Fire is frightening."

Also, in some regions, the word "tenjō" (ceiling) is said to mean "ama no ido" (heaven's well), containing prayers for fire prevention.

As actual structure too, a sturdy fire-shelf (amadana) is installed overhead.

This fulfills the role of "fire prevention," preventing sparks from rising up to reach the roof space.

Simultaneously, it also possessed the "practical" function of drying clothing and food.

Regarding this function, I was convinced after actually observing how sparks scatter.

I thought this fire-shelf was a very rational mechanism packed with ancestral wisdom.

(Reference: Oshima Akio and 4 others, "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Folk Customs Exploration" P47, 78, 82)


5. Hibachi (Brazier)

This brazier was made by carefully applying vermillion lacquer in layers to the end grain, and one can perceive the craftsperson's high level of skill.

The "waves and plovers" pattern applied to the surface is also arranged to utilize the wood grain.

I cannot produce this design's sense of balance.

I think it is magnificent design that continues to exist there across eras.


Hibachi (brazier)

Generally, the combination of waves and plovers has been cherished since long ago as an auspicious pattern holding meanings of marital harmony and household safety.

I am deeply convinced that this pattern was adopted for this brazier.

Furthermore, I think the brazier's maker may also have embedded there a wish for "fire prevention."

The element of water called waves, and the element of fire called brazier.

Perhaps by combining opposing things, they expressed preparation against fire.

I think there are various perspectives regarding such interpretations.

I too want to deepen my learning further by accumulating experience going forward.

I cannot forget even now the fragrance and taste when roasting rice cakes and dried squid on a brazier in childhood.

Thinking back now, these are memories of a leisurely, calm era when I was absorbed only in what was before me.

This is harsh reality, but fire turns precious things to ash in an instant.

I myself once experienced a house fire.

Through this experience, I came to know bodily fire's gratefulness and terribleness, and the good and bad aspects of human conduct.

That is why I think it is important to approach everything with safety first.


6. Sitting Bench

The sitting bench placed in the earthen floor area shows signs of being cherished by many over long years.


Sitting bench

Looking at details, the seat board has been worn until its corners have appropriately fallen away, becoming a soft curve that does not reject those who sit.

This sitting bench must have healed various people's fatigue through long months and years.

The leg portion utilizing branches that split into two forks was also impressive.

It was as if gently inviting: "Have no worry, I am sturdy. Please sit down."


7. Summary for This Time

  • 「けむりたち ひびのいとなみ やまかをる」

  • [Kémouritatchi hibi no itonami yama kaworou]

  • Quai, Mue, Rit, Tas, Chi, Hi, Bis, Nos, Idylle, Tôt, Nam, Mie, Yam, Qu'a, Au, Ris.

  • J'ai poli ce fer jusqu’à en oublier la cendre, pour n’être plus qu’un souffle de montagne.
    La paix est un acier qui a appris à respirer.


Related Links

【Guidance Regarding Alcohol Consumption / Information sur la consommation d'alcool】

  1. Excessive drinking may harm your health. Please enjoy with moderation.

  2. L'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé, à consommer avec modération.

  3. ※Drinking under the age of 20 is prohibited by law.
    (Drinking under the age of 20 is prohibited by law.)

  4. Regarding drinking age, please check the laws of your region.

Read this article in other languages:
Languages available: 日本語 English Français 繁體中文


References

For references, please use the link below.

The reference consulted this time is 暦 02.


Audio data (sound): 2025_015_ja01

Audio data (reading): 2025_015_ja02 (in progress)

  Microsoft Clipchamp: Brigitte, VOICEVOX: 四国めたん

End of Article

  • I hope to deliver small discoveries and nostalgia to your table.