Article 014: A Table in the Waning Heat
Article Summary
Obon has passed, yet the heat refuses to leave. My last bitter melon of the year.
Gnocchi reappears after months away, hebesu brings its particular brightness, and I continue my relationship with bitter melon as it grows in abundance.
Through dishes arranged in indigo-patterned bowls, I trace the quiet echoes that hover over a table in the waning heat.
Category
Cooking, Summer
- I write about moments I've encountered within Japanese food culture as I've lived my life.
I hope you'll read this with the kind of ease you might feel sitting around embers that have burned low.
1. A Table in the Waning Heat
- Bitter melon mixed with canned tuna
- Gnocchi (dumpling-like pasta made from flour or potatoes)
- "Age-dashi ganmodoki" with grated daikon
- Simmered kabocha
Mid-August. Obon has come and gone, and I want to sense autumn approaching, but the muggy days keep rolling forward.
Sleep doesn't come easily at night, and my mood carries a heaviness I can't quite shake.
At least to shift something in how I feel, I ate what will be my last bitter melon (goya) of this year.
Bitter melon keeps well when dried, making it available even in winter, but I find the freshly harvested ones taste most alive.
To add some variation to the table, gnocchi made an appearance after a long absence.
When I first encountered gnocchi, I felt uncertain about its particular chewiness.
The texture didn't exist in Japanese cooking, and its shape—like a cocoon—made me feel, honestly, a bit distant from it.
But something strange happens. Once you grow accustomed to eating it, you find yourself wanting it at regular intervals.
Meeting new foods taught me not to judge them by first impressions alone. Gnocchi showed me this.
On the grated daikon I served with age-dashi ganmodoki, I used hebesu (a fragrant citrus from Miyazaki Prefecture) instead of soy sauce.
When the clean acidity of citrus meets grated daikon, it seems to clear my mouth in a way I notice.
And I finished the evening meal with grated daikon and pickled cucumber that I'd set aside as companions to rice.
For more about the kabocha that appeared on this day's table, please see:
Article 001: Pumpkin and My Mother's Memory — Seasons Held in a Chrysanthemum Bowl
And regarding tofu:
Article 003: Tofu Hamburger Steak and the Oribe Square Plate—Flavors by Feel
2. When Bitter Melon Grows Too Well
Bitter melon is fine if you're just eating it, but when I tried growing it, trouble arrived.
When the fruiting period comes, everything ripens at once.
Because so many bitter melons appear simultaneously, we add small touches at home to keep the flavor from becoming monotonous.
This experience led me to consider harvest volume and preservation methods from the moment I plant seeds.
Around this time of year, every household seems to struggle with what to do with surplus summer vegetables.
For long-term storage, we make "dried bitter melon"—a bit labor-intensive, but we dry it thoroughly all the way to the core.
3. About the Bowls
The bowl holding the gnocchi is an indigo-patterned medium bowl with a grape motif.
This bowl has just the right depth for serving various ingredients, and I rely on it especially for dishes with liquid.
For the chrysanthemum-shaped medium bowl holding the bitter melon mixed with tuna, please see:
Article 001: Pumpkin and My Mother's Memory — Seasons Held in a Chrysanthemum Bowl
Where I Bought It
During Arita pottery festival season, tourists crowd in and it becomes quite congested, so I visit when the air turns cooler.
I purchased this indigo-patterned medium bowl at "Shobido Honten Co., Ltd."
For details, please visit their official website.
Link: https://shop.shobido-honten.com/
About the Size
This bowl has a thoughtfully designed rim that curves inward.
When you hold it with both hands, your fingers catch securely, giving a real sense of assurance.
These grape-motif vessels come in abundant sizes and shapes—large, medium, and small bowls and plates—and I enjoy using different ones depending on the dish.
About Holding It
This bowl works well for everyday meals, and the temperature of the food comes through at just the right level.
Also, when washing dishes, the rim design allows you to stack the bowls, making them easy to handle and very convenient for daily use.
4. About Gnocchi and Bitter Melon
For me, gnocchi seems to be a filling food.
So at dinner, I serve myself a portion that's consciously modest.
The bitterness of bitter melon suits my preferences exactly.
Yet strangely, when it appears on the table every day, my body seems to ask for something else.
I still can't read well the voice my body is teaching me.
Someday, I want to become able to listen honestly to that voice.
5. This Time's Summary
-
「おもきみは うつわのそこに しろいまゆ」
-
[Omokimi wa outsouwa no sokoni chiroï mayou]
-
Oh, Mot, Qui, Mie, Bas, Ut, Sou, Ah, Nos, Sots, Qui, Si, L'eau, Iris, Ma, Vue.
-
「おもきみは なりなりさかえ しろいまゆ」
-
[Omokimi wa narinari sakaé chiroï mayou]
-
Oh, Mot, Qui, Mie, Bas, Narre, Narre, Sa, Qu'a, Est, Si, L'eau, Iris, Ma, Vue.
-
L'azur, témoin. Un goût si pur, L'amour qui demeure.
Related Links
-
Kabocha, Chrysanthemum-shaped medium bowl
Article 001: Pumpkin and My Mother's Memory — Seasons Held in a Chrysanthemum Bowl -
Tofu
Article 003: Tofu Hamburger Steak and the Oribe Square Plate—Flavors by Feel -
Shobido Honten Co., Ltd.
Link: https://shop.shobido-honten.com/ -
Read this article in other languages:
References
For references, please use the link below.
The references consulted for this article are: 料 01, 料 05, 器 01, 器 02, 工 01.
Audio data (sound): 2025_014_ja01 (in progress)
Audio data (reading): 2025_014_ja02 (in progress)
Microsoft Clipchamp: Brigitte, VOICEVOX: 四国めたん
End of Article
- I hope to bring small discoveries and a sense of familiarity to your table.

