Article 017: Time Held in Hands—An Oribe Katakuchi

Article Summary

An Oribe katakuchi I encountered in Hagi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture.

A piece where accident—the fading of Oribe's signature color—became its own attraction.

A vessel that sits close to daily life, as a water cooler (yuzamashi), as a small bowl.

When I pour hot water, light rises from the bottom, and I watch until it reaches the right temperature, savoring that quiet interval.

An expression that shifts with use, a rim shaped by the maker's accumulated knowing.

A record of conversation with a vessel, spun from chance and time.

Category

Tableware


  • I'm setting down one scene from Japanese food culture as I've lived it.
    I hope you'll read with the kind of ease you'd feel sitting around embers.

1. Water Cooler (yuzamashi)


Deep brown Oribe katakuchi with pouring spout

What I'm introducing here is an Oribe katakuchi I met in Hagi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture.

Oribe ware comes from the Azuchi-Momoyama period, known for its particular coloring.

A katakuchi is a traditional form with a pouring lip, typically used for transferring soy sauce or vinegar.

There are various ways to handle a katakuchi, but I use this one primarily as a vessel for serving ingredients.

With the season's shift, when spring greens show vivid, I scatter bonito flakes over them as I plate.

I also put in smooth "oboro tofu" or "mountain yam broth blended with dashi."

Even when I pour viscous things, the spout cuts surprisingly clean, so the table stays unmarked.

  • Gagome kelp
  • Rice


Gagome kelp in Oribe katakuchi, rice in Hagi tea bowl

Also, because it's a manageable size, when I have tea, I use it as a water cooler to bring boiling water down to the right warmth.

When I pour water in, light seems to rise gradually from the bottom.

I make a valued routine of watching that light while waiting for the water to reach temperature.


2. Where I Found It

At a kiln in Hagi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture


3. Size

When I hold it with both hands cupping around it, it settles just right.

A convenient size that works for everyday use or particular occasions.


4. How It Feels in Hand

This katakuchi has a low center and feels steady.

The pattern near the rim naturally guides your hand.

The surface carries a pleasant roughness, a gentle texture that fits the hand.

I feel more affection for this quality the more I use it.


5. Occasions for Use

This katakuchi adapts to the day's mood in different ways.

It serves as a small bowl for sashimi, vinegared dishes, pickles, or simmered things.

  • Mackerel in vinegar
  • Stir-fried bitter melon


Mackerel in vinegar in Oribe katakuchi, stir-fried bitter melon

The ceramicist who made this vessel told me it was crafted as a tea utensil.

They said that using it regularly in daily life draws out the vessel's inherent beauty.

I plan to write about how the vessel's expression changes with time in future articles.

  • Cucumber pickles
  • Tomato and leafy greens salad


Cucumber pickles in Oribe katakuchi, tomato and leafy greens salad on Karatsu round plate

Interestingly, during wood-firing, the ceramicist struggled with temperature control, and as a result the typical Oribe color came out fainter than intended.

But this color born from accident became its own appeal, and each time I use this katakuchi I enjoy imagining what the original景色 might have been.

  • Gagome kelp (Oribe katakuchi)
  • Chilled tofu (Oribe square plate)
  • Stir-fried eggplant
  • Cucumber salad
  • Jako and green pepper stir-fry


Gagome kelp in Oribe katakuchi, chilled tofu on Oribe square plate, stir-fried eggplant in Arita medium bowl with nazuna pattern, cucumber salad in small bowl, jako and green pepper stir-fry in Hagi small bowl


6. Ease of Handling

Because the rim is thoughtfully shaped, it's easy to manage when washing, even stacked with other dishes, and I use it without worry.

I sense in this rim's consideration a wisdom born from the maker's long practice.


7. Summary for This Time

  • 「てゆあしゆ ゆぶねむすびて にわみぐさ」

  • [Téyuachiyu, Yubouné mousoubité, Niwamigouça.]

  • Thé, Yu, Ah, Si, Yu, Yu, Boue, Nue, Muse, Bis, Thé, Ni, Wa, Mis, Gusa.

  • Le Pas de l’Arôme. La Neige qui Nage. La Peau qui Se Regarde.


Related Links

Vessels from Hagi kilns

Read this article in other languages:
Available languages: 日本語 English Français 繁體中文


References

For references, please use the link below.
References consulted for this article are: 器 01, 器 02, 工 01.


Audio Data (Sound): 2025_017_ja01

Audio Data (Reading): 2025_017_ja02 (In progress)

  Microsoft Clipchamp: Brigitte, VOICEVOX: 四国めたん

End of Article

  • I hope this brings small discoveries and a sense of familiarity to your table.