Article 019: Amida's Bowl, the Lines That Don't Show

Summary

A Hagi-ware bowl named Amida arrives with cracks already written into its skin.

The writer, who has never once drawn the line he wanted, recognizes something in it.

What changes is not the luck. What changes is where you put your eyes.

Category

Tableware


  • I write from inside ordinary life with Japanese food and the things that hold it.
    Come as you would to a room where the lamp has been on for a while.

1. Amida

Stoneware · Kofuku-chawan · Hagi Ware · (Nickname: Amida)


A pale yellowish Hagi-ware bowl. Vertical crazing lines and a trimmed foot ring.

Since I was a child, I have been someone luck walks past.

Not dramatically. Just consistently.

When I needed to miss, I hit. When I needed to hit, I missed.

The Japanese game called amida-kuji — where vertical lines cross horizontal ones and the path you take is never the path you planned — was particularly unkind to me. I always arrived somewhere I hadn't intended.

This continued into adult life. When neighbourhood committees needed someone willing but reluctant, the lot fell to me. Reliably. At the worst possible times.

I have made something of this now. The roles no one wanted taught me things no one else learned.

When I first held this bowl, I saw the crazing across its surface — those thin, branching lines — and thought: amida-kuji. The same crossed paths. The same indifferent geometry.

Drinking tea from it, I feel something I can only describe as: good and bad dissolving into the same quiet at the end.

What this bowl has shown me is ordinary. You cannot see anything clearly until you stop looking at it the way you assumed you should.


A pale yellowish Hagi-ware bowl. The crazing in close detail.


2. Where It Was Made

At a kiln in Hagi, Yamaguchi Prefecture.


3. Size

It settles into both hands without asking them to adjust.

Comfortable for everyday use. Equally at home on a considered table.


4. How It Feels

The crazing gives the surface a faint resistance — not roughness exactly, more like the bowl is paying attention.

The longer you use it, the more that quality shifts from texture into something closer to familiarity.

  • Kan'nyū: the fine crazing lines that form on the surface of stoneware as glaze and clay contract at different rates.

5. The Smell That Rises

This bowl moves between roles without complaint.

Rice. Rice with broth poured over it. Salted plum tea, black tea, coffee.

A single vessel, changing what it holds.

There are moments when the bowl seems to ask: Have you understood me yet?

I have sometimes not known what to answer.

The way I measure whether a bowl has truly become mine: I pour plain hot water — nothing added — into a bowl I have been caring for, and I wait. Then I bring it close.

If the smell that rises has grown complex, if it stirs something low in the appetite, then I know. The bowl has absorbed enough of living to carry its own atmosphere.

This is not something a porcelain bowl offers. It belongs to stoneware — to clay that still holds the memory of earth.

The potter who made this piece said: A bowl reaches its real beauty only through being used, daily, without ceremony.

How its surface continues to shift — that is something I will document as time passes.

  • Note: Experiencing aroma from a bowl is a traditional aspect of Japanese ceramic culture and reflects personal sensory observation, not a health or therapeutic claim.

6. The Chasen and Its Argument

When using a chasen — the bamboo whisk for preparing matcha — the fine outer tines can catch on the crazing. This requires a light touch rather than force.

When washing, give the bowl its own space. It should not knock against other things.

If a chip appears, it can be repaired with urushi lacquer. I find that such damage, once repaired, becomes part of the bowl's particular history — a new thing to look at rather than a subtraction.

This too is something I have learned from living alongside vessels: that a changed surface is not a lesser one.


7. In Closing

  • 「つぶらたな われめもんよう たけめぐみ」

  • [Tsuboulatana Ouarémémonyo Takémégoumi]

  • Tsu, Blue, Ta, Na, Voies, Ray, Mets, Mont, Yo, Ta, Quai, Mets, Goumi.

  • L’Eau est la poterie. Le vent est la porte. Le parfum est l’ombre.


Related Articles

Vessels from kilns connected to Hagi ware

Read this article in other languages:
日本語 English Français 繁體中文


References

For references, please use the link below.
Sources consulted for this article: 器 01, 器 02, 工 01.


Audio (sound): 2025_019_ja01

Audio (reading): 2025_019_ja02 (in preparation)

  Microsoft Clipchamp: Brigitte, VOICEVOX: 四国めたん

End of Article

  • May these pages bring a small discovery, and something faintly familiar, to your table.